AquaTerra personnel have completed habitat mapping projects for various federal agencies, municipalities, engineering firms, landscape architecture firms, construction contractors, land management agencies and developers.
Habitat mapping serves to facilitate:
- the calculation of distinct habitat areas on the landscape and evaluating the importance of each (i.e., habitat ranking)
- the assignment of habitat ratings to common and at-risk species confirmed and potentially utilizing a given area
- the determination of costs associated with habitat enhancement and compensation strategies
- the minimization of impacts during proposed development
- the determination of minimum habitat requirements
- the evaluation of changes over time (monitoring).
We have also completed or contributed to Ecological Land Classification (ELC), Habitat Suitability and Capability mapping projects for a variety of sensitive species and have completed Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM) and Predictive Ecosystem Mapping (PEM) projects.